The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

Review: ‘Scout’s Honor’ documentary does its subject matter justice

8 Louie’s Out of 10

“Scouts Honor,” the documentary released on Sept. 6, covers several of the crimes that officials within the Boy Scouts of America committed since its founding.

I absolutely loved this documentary, especially thanks to all of the time and detail that they have spent on uncovering this story. The depth is incredible.

The documentary goes all the way back to when the first Boy Scout meeting was held.  The film dives deep into how the Boy Scouts tried to cover up over 50,000 assault-related cases over its 100-plus year history.

The purpose of “Scout’s Honor” was to show the world the amount of abuse happening behind the scenes that the BSA tried to cover up. Prior to watching this, I had heard very little about the amount of crime in Boy Scouts. While watching, however, it’s revealed that there are five-digits worth of cases over this particular amount of time, and that’s a jaw-dropping fact.

“Scouts Honor” also does a solid job showing two different sides of the story  through the eyes of both a current BSA worker and a former one. These two employees used to work side-by-side, but the crime is what drew them apart. Michael Johnson, a former Boy Scout employee, wanted to make several cases public and fix the problem while Steven McGowan, the other BSA employee, wanted to keep them private so it didn’t hurt the organization’s  image.

Personally, I really enjoyed the Boy Scouts documentary. I learned a lot of new things, and I was initially skeptical about it because of my lack of knowledge about the crimes of the BSA organization. I didn’t think there would be many cases, and after watching the documentary, I found myself surprised by what I just had watched.

I give this documentary 8 Louie’s out of 10. I loved just about everything about this, and I was invested quickly. It got very interesting very quickly when the number of cases against them was revealed, and because the editing was also stellar, it made watching the show even more interesting than it already was. It’s only an hour and a half long, and I enjoyed all of its 90 minutes.

8 Louies out of 10