The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

‘Society of the Snow’ Review

9 out of 10 Louies

I enjoy watching both fiction and non-fiction films. I don’t necessarily have a preference when it comes to choosing between both, but what I do enjoy the most are films that blend both elements together.

I confidently admit that Society of the Snow blew me away. The film was very emotional, and I felt as if I was connected to the movie and present during most of the intense scenes. 

Society of the Snow is an adventure-thriller film released on Dec. 22, 2023. It covers the true story about an Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes Mountains in 1972.

Society of the Snow starts off with an Uruguayan rugby team that flies to Chile to play a rugby match. The team raises enough  money for the flight to continue their rugby matches, as well as having more people coming along to watch. In order to attend their rugby game, the teammates have to fly through the dangerous Andes mountains. This is where the movie takes a turn for the worst. 

The group starts to experience rough turbulence while in the air, and the aircraft begins to get too low on the mountains causing the plane to crash and split in two, leaving only 16 of the 45 members alive.

After crashing, the team has no choice but to survive the winter conditions of the Andes. They were forced to eat the bodies of the people who didn’t make it out alive. This part of the movie was shocking because of how real it felt. It was almost as if I was watching everything happen in real time. Seeing the characters act on cannibalism had me thinking how intense it might have been during the actual event, and knowing that the film was based on a true story is what really kept me on the edge of my seat. 

Society of the Snow was one of the best movies I have ever watched. The only thing I wished was different was the fact that it was two hours long. There were a few scenes that I felt were unnecessary and irrelevant to the story. Because the story line was very interesting, I wished there was less dialogue in certain parts of the movie.  

Overall, the acting as great and will make the watcher feel connected. Society of the Snow is full of emotions while also being an amazing thriller. 

9 Louie’s out of 10.