The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

Why Do We Re-Watch Shows and Movies?

Have you ever had an itch to watch a new show or movie but you can’t seem to find anything worth watching? So you just stick to the same film you have seen 13 times?

Have you also wondered why you seem to never get bored of watching that same film? 

Many of us may have a film we always run to that we never get sick of watching. 

I, for example, can never seem to re-watch a show or movie unless I am re-watching it with someone else.

Around last year, I watched the famous show Breaking Bad on Netflix. After watching, I had to admit that it was the best one I had ever seen, so I immediately ran to my friends and family and told them to watch it as well. Soon enough, I got my mom to watch Breaking Bad and I sat with her and watched it all over again. I enjoy re-watching shows and movies more with other people rather than just myself because I like witnessing their reactions as well as, admittedly, taking credit for taking on a good show.

Squid Game, another show on Netflix released back in September 2021, was also one of my favorites. I ended up watching Squid Game three total times all the way through: once on my own, once with my parents, and once with my uncle. Each and every one of those times that I watched it, I loved it more and more. But if you asked me to turn on my TV now and watch it all again alone, I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. 

Unlike myself, some of us are able to watch a film repeatedly with or without the presence of another person.  

Current sectional editor Alexa Di Novo is like me in this way. Her love and obsession with the Disney princess movie, Tangled, is unmatched. 

“I watch Tangled at least a few times a month,” Di Novo said. “I like to turn it on when I’m cleaning, cooking, or doing homework.”

Di Novo went on to talk about how Rapunzel is her favorite childhood Disney Princess, so watching Tangled always makes her feel a sense of comfort.

“My favorite scene is when Rapunzel is able to see the lights because the ‘I See The Light’ song brings me so much happiness and always feels like I’m hearing it all over again for the first time,” Di Novo said.

Di Novo’s biggest dream has always been to go watch the floating lanterns when she turns 18, just like Rapunzel did on her 18th birthday. 

So why do we re-watch certain films so many times?

Studies show that people tend to circle back to the same film because it may give them a sense of comfort or sometimes a connection to certain characters in the show or movie. According to YouGov’s article, 86 percent of Americans watch a TV show more than once. 

So, whether you enjoy re-watching movies or shows quite a lot, know that you are not alone. Sometimes we need to revisit something that brings us laughter, comfort, and other emotions.