The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

‘Meg 2: The Trench’ bored me beyond belief

5 Louies out of 10

This was not enjoyable.

“Meg 2: The Trench,” released in August, is a fictional movie about a Megalodon shark that chases a crew on a submarine. This sequel, however, was lacking in the entertainment department, despite starring Jason Statham, Li Bingbing and Sienna Guillory as its main characters.

I found it very difficult to pay attention while watching “Meg 2.” I went to see the film with my friends and thought I was going to see a crazy action movie that would have me at the edge of my seat. Instead, I saw a movie that consisted of scientists talking about a shark in which they were trying to outrun the entire time. Although that is the plot of the movie, it was unfortunately not what made it interesting.

For about the first 30 to 45 minutes, the characters were in a lab talking about things they can do to capture the elusive shark. Movies like this typically don’t go straight into action, and there is usually some time to introduce characters and build up the story. In this case, it took way too long to get to the excitement, and that’s when I started to find myself getting impatient. 

There were definitely ways to make this movie more interesting. The director Ben Wheatley could have cut down how much dialogue and exposition there was in the dragging first act. Adults tend to be the demographic for movies that have more talking because they find it more interesting, but kids and teenagers like us, on the other hand, are the opposite. We find it very boring and dull when there is too much back-and-forth speaking, especially when the movie is clearly supposed to be about a monster under the sea.

I personally think this sequel is not one of the better ones I’ve seen. I think the idea of scientists trying to hunt down a Megalodon could have pretty fascinating, but it just didn’t have the execution with all the exposition and dialogue. Although I have not seen the first one, others agree with me, considering the sequel has a rating of 5.2/10 on IMDb. I wasn’t the only one who didn’t enjoy it.

From this point forward, I will be using a new rating system for the reviews I write. Starting now, we will go off the Louie scale, with one Louie being the lowest rating and 10 being the best. I believe this movie is 5 Louies out of 10. I hope that soon, an actually good movie about a shark hunting people on a submarine actually comes out.

5 Louies out of 10.