District 214 names new superintendent

Photo courtesy of District 214.

Parker Cobb, Staff Reporter

For the first time in 17 years, Township High School District 214 has its new leader.

Following a nationwide search and unanimous board vote on April 13, Dr. Scott Rowe, the current superintendent of District 158 in Huntley, will be District 214’s new superintendent. He takes over for David Schuler, who left the post in February to become the president of the School Superintendents Association in Virginia.

According to a press release, Rowe is a native of Charleston, Missouri, and he holds a bachelor’s degree in history from Missouri State University. He has master’s and doctoral degrees in educational leadership from Aurora University.

Rowe has served as superintendent for District 158 for the last five years. District 214’s website notes that he served for seven years as a middle school and high school principal within District 158 prior to becoming superintendent in that district.

In his new role, Rowe noted that he, along with the board of education, will focus in the future on matters of school safety, student mental health and the enhancement of current district properties. 

Rowe said he felt drawn to District 214 based on a number of factors, but he specifically noted the district’s career pathways as a selling point multiple times in his press conference at Forest View on Thursday, April 13.

“The college and career pathways is an area where District 214 is a leader, way out in front,” Rowe said. “District 214 has been wildly successful for many, many years, from academics to student programming. I think the opportunities the school district provides to students is second to none.”

District 214 Associate Superintendent Lazaro Lopez and retired District 300 Superintendent Ken Arndt will continue serving as co-interim superintendents until Rowe’s term begins in July.