The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

Daniel Ogunosun nears the finish line

Ogunosun, high school is where track and field became his No. 1 sport. 

A few years ago, former Elk Grove track coach Miles Osei came up to Daniel Ogunosun one day and asked him if he was fast.

“I replied yes, and he told me to put my money where my mouth is and prove it,” he said. 

While Ogunosun eventually did try out for the team, it wasn’t just to prove that he was a fast runner, but to later find out that this sport was made for him.

“I decided to join track and field during my sophomore year without realizing how much I would actually enjoy it,” he said.

Ogunosun’s experience with track and field had not only improved him as an athlete, but it also helped him make unforgettable memories and friends. 

“One of my favorite things about track is our 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 team personal record, which gives me a really great feeling,” Ogunosun said. “It brings joy to the sprinter in the relays, and really hypes up the team.”  

Although Ogunosun will not be attending college specifically for sports, he says he might join an intramural track team at the University of Illinois-Chicago, where he will be attending. 

“Daniel was the one who convinced me to join track,” senior Nate Govert said. “He always helped me out and explained how to do things when I didn’t understand.” 

While wrapping up his high school track and field career, Ogunosun is sad to leave his teammates behind but is grateful for the memories he has made and the athlete he has become. Even if track isn’t in the cards, a career in business and entrepreneurship is.

“Ever since I was a young kid, I have always wanted to become an entrepreneur so I knew that I wanted to major in business at University of Illinois-Chicago,” he said.

In the near future, Ogunosun plans on being a successful entrepreneur, working for a company as a project manager as well as starting his own business.

“Having classes such as college business and entrepreneurship helped guide me through the right path and along the way have shown me that I am a hundred percent sure about my major,” he said.

Although his last days of high school are near, Ogunosun said he will miss the bonds he had with his friends and coaches. 

“I am happy to say that Elk Grove has made me become a better athlete, student and overall person,” he said. “I am ready to start my next chapter in life, but will never forget what this school has taught me.”