Alexandra Mazur leads science team to state

Alex Para, Sectional Editor

If you know Alexandra Mazur, the first descriptor that probably comes to mind is well-rounded. 

She does orchestra, she started science club and even won the state title for her science team. 

“I started EG’s Science Club sophomore year with Mrs. [Eleanor] Park,” Mazur said.  “I wanted to start a science club because I wanted kids to have the opportunity to learn and do science in a fun way.”

Mazur got into science during her sophomore year during chemistry and visited some universities to participate in Chemistry Day. That was at Northwestern University where she found out that science can be really fun.

“Personally, I really like doing lab work in science,” Mazur said. “And my favorite part of chemistry is doing the labs and the community.”

Science Club visited Destination Imagination with a project that was mostly centered on engineering, but it involved science experiments as well. The team qualified and won the state competition.

“Our project was we built a car on a ramp and put weights on it,” Mazur said. “We made a whole skit/story about a hero that saves the day and then we incorporated a science experiment that involved hydrogen peroxide. We presented that and we won state.”

The state tournament comprised of teams from middle schools, elementary schools and four high schools.

Mazur plans on going to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as a chemistry major. Though Mazur applied for scholarships, they haven’t replied yet as of publishing time. 

When asked about what advice she has for high schoolers, Mazur says that students should “do what you want to do. You could start a club one day like I did.”

Also, she just wants you all to have fun while you’re in high school.

“My favorite memories are field trips for the orchestra and then the science club’s fun time,” Mazur said.