The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

What will happen to Munchie’s Pizza?

Since 1983, Munchies Pizza has been a go-to spot for pizza lovers.

But now, as news broke that the restaurant would have to close its doors, Elk Grove High School students share their opinions and memories on this community treasure. 

“My grandma and grandpa started going when it opened so my dad went throughout his whole childhood and through high school, since he also went to school here, and now I’ve been going there my whole childhood,” said Antonette Fiorito, a junior at EGHS, said. 

Fiorito reminisced on how three generations of her family enjoyed special moments and created memories at Munchie’s. 

“My family are like family friends with the owners of the restaurant, and we would always have birthday parties there,” Fiorito said. “It was always just our little family spot when we would want to go out for dinner.”

You don’t have to search hard in Elk Grove to find someone who can tell you a tradition connected to the pizzeria. Junior Carter Bourget’s family had their own Munchies tradition as well.

I love going to lunch there with all of my friends and we make it a habit of going there every Friday during our lunch break. It’s a staple in our friend group,” Bourget said.

Munchies Pizza & Bar embodies 1980’s nostalgia from its wood paneling and the white paper plate slices are served on. However, nothing compares to the “pillar” in the restaurant. According to Fiorito, “besides the food, one of my favorite things is the pillar with all the names on it. Some signatures are still there from when it first opened. It’s so cool it’s almost like you travel back in time when you read all of them.”

According to the Daily Herald, Munchies Pizza owners are fighting to stay in business, even if it means relocating somewhere in Elk Grove Village.

“Them shutting down is a terrible idea,” sophomore Nathan Dean said. “I mean, I love that place. I’ve been going there ever since I can remember. It’s awesome.”