The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

Malone qualifies for state in cross country

Katie Wirtz/Ilana Shook
Delaney Malone waves during an indoor running practice at Elk Grove High School

It was only her first year running competitively. 

Even though junior Delaney Malone has been running since she was 11 years old and was a part of the swim team for the first two years of her high school career, she turned her lifelong passion into a drive to go out for the girls cross country team this past fall season.

“She’s gained a lot of confidence and skills with racing,” head coach Laura Bjankini said. “She really grew from just a strong athlete who would train competitively to someone who clearly understands the sport.”

Since track season, Malone dedicated herself to overcoming obstacles and pursuing success as a runner. Despite it only being her first year competing in the sport, Delaney Malone secured a spot at the state meet for girls cross country. It was an achievement that had been absent from Elk Grove for seven years.

“I was, like, really surprised,” Malone said. “Really, really excited too, because I was with all my girls. I was jumping, we were all screaming. It was really cool,”

Reagan Malone, Delaney’s sister and teammate on the girls cross country team, emphasized positivity and empowerment as factors in their team’s performances this past fall.

“It was something that we were working towards as a team, to get someone to go to state,” Reagan Malone said. “Supporting each other the whole time, we prepared her to be ready for it.”

Bjankini echoed the sentiment.

“One thing I’ve noticed, especially with females in athletics, is the feeling that you’re never good enough,” Bjankini said. “But really, the work that [Delaney] has put in for almost a year as a runner is what helped her feel confident going into the state meet, and that was what allowed her to run a personal best.”

As of now, running may be a top priority for Delaney Malone, but nothing is set for the junior’s future.

“I was always thinking about [running in college]. I feel like it’d be cool,” she said.

Delaney Malone ties her shoes in the fieldhouse during an indoor track practice.