The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

He’s a goalie and a DJ? Piwowarski has made it work at Elk Grove

Benny Schlosser

Adjusting from homeschooling to public high school could be a tough adjustment for many teenagers.

For Daniel Piwowarski, however, it was a breeze.

Piwowarski, a senior at Elk Grove High School, is the goalie for the boys soccer team. He came to Elk Grove for his senior year and joined the team for the start of its fall season.

“It’s a fun transition,” Piwowarski said. “My social life is insane right now.”

Before playing soccer for Elk Grove, Daniel played for the Sockers club in Schaumburg. He also played for MLS Next, which is one of the highest levels of soccer in the United States.

“I’ve been playing soccer since I was 6, so around like 12 years,” Piwowarski said. 

Oh, and Piwowarski isn’t just a soccer player. He is also a DJ.

His aspiration for DJing started when he was in middle school, when he joined a DJ club. He played his first DJ set for a fall dance at his middle school.

Although Piwowarski says he admittedly had a rough start when he began DJing, he didn’t give up.

From there on, I just got better,” he said.

Piwowarski said he has DJ’d at events with up to 700 people.

“DJing just fits a little bit better than soccer,” Piwowarski said when asked if he sees a future in either DJing or soccer. “Soccer will always be in my heart.”

Piwowarski has even DJ’d at EGHS events. Right after the soccer team’s 2-1 win against Wheeling in September, Daniel was on the sidelines as the DJ at the Homecoming football game.

Juggling between being a soccer goalie, a DJ, and a member of a brand new school is difficult, but Piwowarski says he’s handling it in stride.

“Everything is hard in the beginning, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing,” Piwowarski said.