Boys soccer shooting toward winning regionals

Stephanie Tingas, Staff Reporter

With a team 16 seniors, coach Rob Shepard and the boys are hoping to make it through regionals (which are at Elk Grove this year), and make it to sectionals.

“They are a coachable, talented, well-bonded team which is a perfect mix for success”, said coach Shepard.

As the season is currently in play, the boys have a record of 4 wins, 7 losses, and 1 tie so far.

The wins in the MSL came against Schaumburg, Rolling Meadows and nonconference wins were against Zion-Benton and Lockport.

Senior Markos Christoforou, a key player and captain of the team talks about his experience during his four years of soccer at Elk Grove.

“Taking a leadership role as one of the captains this year has made me assume more responsibility and passion for the team. This year has forced me to learn how to become a better player and leader”.

Christoforou shared thoughts about winning the regional championship. “We always say to take it one game at a time”.

As the season goes on, Shepard is ecstatic to see his players improve.

“Seeing the guys excel from outside the classroom and where they’re passionate is amazing, and the growth from freshmen to senior year is a cool cycle to watch every year.”

Playing one game at a time, the team and Coach Shepard hope to conquer the MSL conference moving through to regionals in October.