The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

Seniors reflect on high school as they head into their last semester

Leann Shaya feels like a new person.

“I believe high school can change a person throughout their four years,” Shaya said. “Growing within such a diverse community and trying out so many different things, you can learn so much about others, and I feel like that can also change what you learn about yourself.”

This sentiment is what many high school seniors have reflected about as their four years start to wrap up in the last semester of school. It’s a time of self discovery for students like Shaya, as students have navigated through new friendships, academic challenges, and tons of emotions.

“I see a change in myself as a senior compared to my freshman self,” Shaya said. “I feel like when I was younger, I would stress a lot about little things that essentially wouldn’t matter at the end. If I didn’t get a perfect score on a quiz,  I’d think it was the end of the world, but I’ve learned that it’s not always about the grade, it’s about how much you learn in the process.”

As students mature, they tend to start finding themselves in high school 

“I’ve changed a lot, especially academically and socially,” Natasha Bacchiere said.” I started becoming more social when talking to new people, and I also care a lot more about what grades I get. I worked hard to get where I am today.”

Despite all the tests and academic challenges, some seniors have learned other lessons and insights about themselves.

“A major life lesson I’ve learned from high school that has helped me become a different and better version of myself is that not everything matters, and time goes on,” Shaya said. “My work will not stop if I don’t do something right, and growing is the most important thing someone can do.”

A big reason why students leave high school with a changed mindset is because of the amazing teachers who show up every day. For Bacchiere, that has been her teacher Kimberly Sander.

“All my teachers has really helped me, but if I had to choose it would be Mrs. Sander, because she has helped me a lot with the education pathway and getting to where I need to be to help prepare for the future,” Bacchiere said. “Her class has really changed me into becoming a good teacher and person.”

Not only did high school change both Bacchiere and Shaya but it also gave them valuable takeaways.

“My biggest takeaway from high school is that you always have to try hard and put in your 100 percent effort, because it’s really important to always show that you’re working hard so that others see it and they can hopefully get inspired by you,” Shaya said. “Also you’ll see in the long run because if you don’t work and if you waste time, there won’t be any improvement.”

View Comments (1)