The student news site of Elk Grove High School

The Guardian

The Guardian

The Guardian

Students and staff feel the stress of the holidays

Sophie Garcia

Once the Christmas music returns to the radio, so does the stress of the December month. 

“Buying things for people, last minute Christmas shopping, holiday parties,” are just a few of these stress-inducing activities, according to senior Reese Gbur.

Gbur, a student-athlete and the oldest of five siblings, said that the juggling of school, sports, and Christmastime does not come so easy. 

“I think that having break start so close to the holidays is just so stressful,” Gbur said.

Many students share the same opinion, especially because of academics.

Sophie Garcia

“It’s rough to get all of my homework done and have practice and still have time to do stuff that I need to do for the holidays,” senior Nate Govert said. “I didn’t even get to help my parents decorate for Christmas cause I’ve had stuff to do.”

Govert, a student-athlete, took on many challenging courses for his senior year while also playing basketball during the holiday season.

This year winter break begins on Dec. 22, leaving just three days for students and staff to prepare for Christmas. 

“Sometimes it is challenging because as soon as finals end it’s time to be with families and parties and get everything ready and presents and traveling,” physics teacher Christopher Rogers said. 

Rogers has four sons and feels the stress not only in himself, but sees it in his students as well. Not knowing what to prioritize seems to be the hardest part.

Not only does this short amount of time limit preparation for gift giving and family time, but also traveling. 

“There was a possibility I was going to visit my family in Dubai,” Gbur said. “Me and my mom couldn’t because we have finals right up until Christmas. I have school, there was no way that was going to happen.”

Next year, according to the 2024-25 District 214 calendar, second semester will end Dec. 20, 2024, giving students and teachers just a little bit more time than they had this year to prepare for the holidays.

Sophie Garcia