Meet the new girls lacrosse coach Jessica Stransky

Darina Lubenov, Editor-in-Chief

As a student at Wheaton-Warrenville South High School, Jessica Stransky was looking for something to do after school. She decided to give the no-cut sport lacrosse a try.

“I had watched my brother play for years, and they had a no-cut sport because it was a co-op with Wheaton North [High School],” Stransky said. 

Now a Spanish and English language learner (ELL) teacher at Wheeling, Stransky will take over the girls lacrosse program as its second head coach in as many years.

“I was so excited when there was the opportunity to coach in the spring, and it reminded me how much I loved it,” Stransky said. “I was so happy when the position at Elk Grove opened up so I could coach in the district.”

Stransky takes over for Nina Cavender, who coached the girls lacrosse team last year in its first year as a program. Cavender left Elk Grove for a teaching job in Grayslake. 

Previously, Stransky coached freshman lacrosse at York High School when she was a maternity leave substitute teacher at the Elmhurst school. With this previous experience under her belt, Stransky was able to get a taste of what it takes to lead a program. 

Prior to her teaching position, she earned a bachelor’s degree in Secondary Education Spanish from the University of Iowa.

So far, the girls lacrosse team is preparing for its second season in District 214 by hosting open gyms and practices. Because of low numbers in the Wheeling and Elk Grove programs, Elk Grove’s squad will be a cooperative team with the girls from Wheeling.

“I want to create leaders,” Stransky said. “I believe that I am a leader, and that my goal is to create future leaders.”