Meet the new boys lacrosse coach Samantha Kupitz

Darina Lubenov, Editor-in-Chief

With experience in fitness, powerlifting and even rugby, Samantha Kupitz isn’t afraid of a challenge.

This time, she will be coaching something that she has never had the opportunity to lead before: boys lacrosse.

Kupitz will be Elk Grove’s second lacrosse coach in as many years. The team, which had its first-ever season in 2021, started its season in late February.

While she has not had any coaching experience in the sport, Kupitz said she wants the boys lacrosse team to make strides in its second season ever at Elk Grove. Kupitz stressed that she wants the team to create a lifelong bond through hard work and competition. 

“Coaching is a really big responsibility, especially starting up a program and bringing it up, upgrading standards,” Kupitz said. “It’s tough.”

Kupitz graduated from Illinois State University in 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in secondary education. While at ISU, she played rugby and served as the team’s president. Before ISU, she attended Southern Illinois University in Carbondale for two years and also played rugby before transferring.

Kupitz’s rugby career continues to this day, as she currently plays for the Chicago North Shore Women’s Rugby team.

Even though the season is only beginning, Kupitz said she has her eye on students who have consistently applied effort during open gyms. 

“I’m really excited that I’m working with a group of young men who are so focused on getting better,” Kupitz said.