District 214 announces vaccine distribution for students

The distribution would allow students 16 years of age and older who would like the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine to receive one through the district’s partner, Passport Health.

Alek Para, Staff Reporter

When the first COVID-19 vaccine was authorized for use at the end of 2020, it was hard to come by for many Americans.

Many distribution websites through the county and various health departments were tough to navigate for people who wanted a shot, and supply chains in the earlier part of 2021 meant limited distribution. Some Elk Grove teachers, for instance, drove almost an hour to Tinley Park just for a chance to get the vaccine.

That all has changed in the months after many teachers and workers in the school environment were able to receive their shots. On April 27, officials from Township High School District 214 sent an email stating that the district had found a partner, Passport Health, that will be providing COVID-19 vaccines to students 16 years old and older who are interested in receiving it. 

Based on interest, the district will schedule clinics at three D214 schools, and locations will be determined after survey results are collected.

“We anticipate hosting clinics on the following dates: May 18 (dose 1)/June 15 (dose 2), May 19 (dose 1)/June 16 (dose 2) and May 20 (dose 1)/June 17 (dose 2),” District 214 superintendent David Schuler said in an email.

The shot administered will be the Pfizer vaccine. 

“We are also working with other partners to identify opportunities for vaccinations and will add additional opportunities based on the interest of our students and their families,” Schuler said in the email.

It’s now common to find registration for the vaccine in almost every pharmacy (such as Jewel-Osco or Walgreens) or many local community centers.

Almost half the country has gotten one dose of the vaccine and a third is fully vaccinated.