Sing-along video gives seniors, Gouge a connection to EGHS staff

Darina Lubenov, Staff Reporter

Sing-along videos posted from common people to celebrities have been popular alternatives to interactions with quarantine and social distancing in place. One of the most popular sing-alongs was assembled by actress Gal Gadot, accompanied by other A-list celebrities who sang along to John Lennon’s “Imagine.”

This trend has trickled into the EG community. Although school has closed as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak in the United States, teachers and students found ways to participate in their own way.

EGHS teacher Thomas Walloch organized the staff sing-a-long.

In an email, Walloch shares that he created the video as a way “to help create a message of support from our staff to our students and community to show that even in these unique times, they could still count on us to be there for them in any way they need.”

Shortly after EG teachers posted their take on the trend, senior Autumn Gougè roped in the EG senior class of 2020 to participate in a sing-a-long video. Each student was assigned a singing part of Journey’s hit “Don’t Stop Believin’.”

Gougè said she used social media as a connection to her classmates in order to get them on board.

“I reached out to my classmates who I have on some social media platforms and simply just asked them if they would be willing to be a part of the senior class singing to ‘Don’t Stop Believin’,’’ Gougè said in an email.

“The song was chosen for its a message that the seniors were “ hopeful and thinking optimistically,” Gougè said in an email.

On the production side of things, Gougè tallied who was a part of the video. She then wrote down the people who said “yes” on a piece of paper and then broke up the song lyrics and assigned them randomly.

Gougè’s video was also comprised of senior photos submitted by students. After getting the aforementioned clips, the video was created on iMovie and then exported to Gougè’s YouTube channel.

“I thought it would be nice if I could get the senior class together and do something maybe for the last time as a ‘senior class’,” Gougè said in the email regarding the loss of the seniors’ last few months of school together.

Heartening, encouraging, and supportive is how Gougè said she’d describe the Elk Grove High School class of 2020 in a few words.

“They’re all so bright and genuinely enjoy having fun and supporting one another,” Gougè said about her classmates.

Gougè is a four-year EG volleyball player, a two-year National Honor Society member and a three-year track and field member. She will be continuing her studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for secondary education.