Toler: Girls swimming season a ‘coach’s dream’

Gavin Ewen, Sectional Editor

Coming into his 13th season as girls swimming head coach, Dave Toler had a hunch his team could be a competitive one in the MSL for a third straight season.

With all MSL Conference teams improving this year, Toler, knew that he and his team had to work harder than ever to compete with top teams in the conference.

It turned out he was right. Not only was conference a success, but EG also sent eight swimmers to the sectional meet at York High School. Rachel Ford, Natalie Wlodarz, Michelle Corbirzan, Ava Hennig, Natalia Kosciarz, Anja Restak, Kylie Rittle and Dea Papaleka all participated at the sectional meet.

“What a coach says can only go so far,” Toler said. “The athletes have to live it and strive for results. We’ve had two senior classes in a row that have built up the program with their unselfish attitudes over their entire career.”

All in all, the girls team notched five dual meet wins this season, which is the most in school history, and the team won both the Maine East and Hoffman Estates tournaments during the season.

Key participants in the dual meets included, Evita Ferrari, Abby Franke, Anna Mayschak, Sarah McNamara, Natalia Garcia and Grace Schiller.

Toler also credited having shorter practices leading to success. The team limited practices until 8 p.m., which shortened the day for everyone and led to more competitive practices.

Toler said the girls expressed less stress about homework and other conflicts.

“This team likes to compete and win as much in practice as at meets,” Toler said.

As the season wound down, Toler says that the girls will go back to their respective club teams where they swim and compete year-round. He also said that offseason club swimming is important to help steady the girls’ passion for the sport.

“I can go on a long time about this season,” Toler said. “This season was a coach’s dream.”