EG choir students rank best in District 7

Maria Sirakova, Staff Reporter

The Elk Grove High School Chorus Department is a major part of the school campus and community. Students can be found throughout the school participating in a wide variety of activities. Curricular choirs include Men’s Choir, Women’s Choir, Treble Choir, Concert Choir and Mint Condition Vocal Jazz. Co-curricular ensembles include Chamber Singers, Women’s Chamber Ensemble, coed a cappella and female a cappella.

Choirs take part in many events throughout the year including school concerts, college and professional festivals, singing throughout the community and traveling for performance tours.

Some of their upcoming events include:  the IlMEA District 7 Music Festival featuring Honor Band on Saturday November 4, Choir and Orchestra at Glenbrook North High School on Saturday, November 11, and the ILMEA District 7 Jazz Festival featuring Jazz Bands and Vocal Jazz Ensembles on Saturday, November 18.

Out of thousands of students who auditioned, seniors Sheldon Adams (tenor I), Claire Glennon (soprano II), Tiffany Kajiwara (soprano II), Sara Kouvelis (alto I), Aaron Mejorada (bass I) and Ashley Morse (alto I) got into the top District Choir. Additionally, juniors Nick Benjamin (tenor II) and Amber Bretana (soprano II) and sophomore Amberly Krol (alto I) made it into the choir.

Seniors Sheldon Adams (tenor), Claire Glennon (alto), Sara Kouvelis (soprano) and Aaron Mejorada (bass) got into the Vocal Jazz 1. Freshmen George Kouvelis (bass) and Marcus Ramos (tenor) got into Vocal Jazz 2.

Most of the students in EG Choir are first time singers so no experience is needed. Everyone is welcome to the club!