Returning, new members burgeon in debate club

Nic Baggetto, Editor in Chief

Now, more than two months into the school year, the debate team has seen continued success, while approaching meeting their major goals for the year as a team and individually.

At their most recent meet at Dundee Crown High School on October 15, senior and co-team captain Mike Pauls took 1st place in his chamber. This is the second time Pauls has made a major achievement this year as he was also voted best presiding officer at a competition back in September.

In addition, the team placed 5th overall at the competition. With their goal for the season being to place in the top three this year, head coach Matt Bohnenkamp and Pauls are confident going into the next few meets, the first of which is tomorrow at Schaumburg High School. Following that, the team will compete at a tournament at Glenbrook North High School.

“This is a national tournament that gives our students an opportunity to compete against some really good competition,” Bohenkamp said.

Seniors Ray Solorzano and Layan Safi have also both been major point receivers for the team. The team is happy to welcome a few newcomers as well. For new recruits, freshmen Hana Park, Aliyah Philip and Anel Solorzano have made great additions to the junior varsity chamber according to Bohnenkamp.

In regards to the new schedule implemented for the season, with several months of experience the team has reflected positively. An aspect that Pauls enjoys is the flexibility of having multiple days of practice. Since many of the debaters have busy workloads, the new schedule allows more freedom.

“I think it’s worked really well. We have more time for practices and don’t feel as rushed,” Bohnenkamp said. Members, too, are excited for the season.

Freshman Sandra Kowalik, explains what she hopes to learn this season. “I want to be involved in politics when I’m older,” Kowalik said. “So I hope to learn how to argue my point or opinions correctly and respectfully.”