Seniors prepare to cast votes in November

Tiffany Waldrom, Contributing Writer

It has been nearly eight years since the inauguration of a new President. Current President Barack Obama began his two terms in office when EG students were still in elementary school. Now, the upcoming election has two new candidates, and the end result, a new President, will be unique with either the first woman or one of very few non-politicians to become President.

Americans must make this extremely difficult decision based on their beliefs and values, the issues important to them and the future they want for their children. Although many EG students cannot vote in the upcoming general election, they still consider who they would vote for based on a candidate’s foreign policy, healthcare reform, strategies for combatting terrorism and other factors.

Often, students discuss these issues with their peers and struggle to decide who they would vote for if they were eighteen and a registered voter. However, for the students who will vote, they must make an official decision when they walk to the booth on November 8.

Senior Megan Manoj is voting because she believes in the importance of “young people [who] become active in our political system.” Although she has already selected a candidate, she thinks that “some people are voting for certain candidates so that the opposition will not gain votes.” One of the pressing issues Manoj considers is that EG students can relate to the candidates’ policies on the affordability of college tuition. Not only has she thought about paying for college, but she has also considered the issues of responding to terrorism and economics. Even though many Americans are undecided, Manoj has decided and will not change her mind before casting her ballot.

Senior Safia Hattab is considering her choice of Presidential candidate based on a concerning issue for Americans. “I consider foreign affairs […] because we need to take diplomatic relations very seriously,” Hattab said.

Also, Hattab does not follow the typical stereotype that if you are a Democrat, you vote Democrat, or if you are a Republican, you vote Republican. Hattab has not only thoroughly researched the candidates, but she has also considered the candidates of the Libertarian and Green Party. Even though she has added more candidates to her list of choices, she is confident with the decision she will officially make in November.

Even though she has chosen her candidate, she believes that “there is no perfect candidate,” and the decision must be based on the “most capable” candidate. However, not many Americans open their options to four candidates and, instead, focus solely on the two main candidates.

This is true for senior Sean O’Brien. His choices of Presidential candidate only include the primary candidates. O’Brien says he has not regarded the other candidates because he is not familiar with them or the policies they would ratify in office. As for issues, O’Brien will consider “the safety of the country and the economy, and how many jobs there’ll be in the future” when he makes his final decision in November.

Even though many students are unable to vote in this election, the students who can and choose to vote make their vote count by carefully considering what they want for America. They consider several factors when selecting their choice of presidential candidate including how he or she will impact America both positively and negatively. Even though they consider similar issues, they each have one particular issue that they feel is the ultimate factor that they consider when voting. They do not take their vote for granted and vote because they believe they have chosen the best candidate to run the country.