Peer Helpers produce healthy environment for transfer students

Elise Stornello, Staff Reporter

Peer Helpers is an organization of students made to guide the way for students and parents. This year they are challenged with introducing 96 transfer students to Elk Grove. Juniors and seniors are paired up with a transfer student and act as their guide and friend in the school.

One of the head directors of Peer Helpers, Debra Ohler, explained, “People come here and they don’t know any students.”

A one-on-one connection is built, creating a comfortable relationship for new students who most likely do not know many people.

Senior Hana Crnovrsanin agreed, “Having them feel more comfortable at school, due to having at least one friend, can make them feel less lonely which will improve their attitude towards not only school, but also being placed into a new environment.”

New students who are having a difficult transition can join the Transfer Student Support Group, which has run for 15 years. It helps kids discuss and socialize with people in the same situation. Students have transferred from different states, countries, and even continents.

“It is difficult to make new friends, especially if you are coming to a new environment at an awkward time where a lot of people in your surroundings already are familiar with each other,” Crnovrsanin said.

Having an initial group of Peer Helpers to be able to talk to is important. Special events are held for transfer students such as a student breakfast and an ice cream social. These social outings encourage students to interact and make friends as a support system. Meeting and talking with someone who understands what they’re going through decreases the anxiety of a new school.

Junior transfer student Olivia Nieves said, “The best thing about Peer Helpers guiding the way for transfer students is that we’ll always know there is someone there that we can go to.”

Especially being a new student, being able to receive help or guidance from an upperclassmen can lessen the challenge, according to Nieves.