Girls track takes a leap

Nic Baggetto, Copy Editor

The longest running sport at EG, track and field, is on its final lap. At the Fenton meet, the girls team came in second place out of the several schools competing. According to head coach Tim Phillips, many of the girls met their personal records, or “PR’d.”

Phillips is a recent addition to the coaching staff. Due to medical leave, his predecessor Dave Johnson is no longer holding the position of head coach. It is Phillips understanding that Johnson will be coming back at some point.

“I did coach for 20 years, cross country and track, at different schools in the district, so I had a lot of experience in the sport, but

not as a head coach in track,” Phillips said. According to Phillips, he coaches a well rounded team. A few of the girls who have been exceeding expectations this season include senior Inga Augustatis who has PR’d in nearly every meet, senior Sara Lasovska who scored in four different events at the Fenton invite, and Junior Emily Stegmeier who is one the most accomplished athletes

as far as returning state qualifiers. Runners like senior Hannah Olsen commented on the progress they’ve made

this season. “I think I’ve made a big improvement

from last year. I just PR’d in the 800,” Olsen said. “I think we can keep PR-ing and improving our times!”

A large portion of the team is made up of freshmen and first-time-runners who, according to Phillips, are doing well and are going to be strong competitors in coming years.

“It’s really incredible the amount of talent the freshmen have this year,” sophomore Abbey Casey said. “We girls

are making it difficult on [distance coach Rachel] Barry to choose who should run the varsity races because we are all running so well.”

“I try to treat each kid as an individual and help them to focus on their own individual improvement. It’s just like teaching,” Phillips said.