Ways students fight cancer

Megan Casey, Editor-in-Chief

Within the last couple months, Relay For Life has been spending ample amounts of time preparing for their Relay event, which is two months away. The event will take place on Saturday June 11, and there are multiple opportunities for students to get involved as well as raise money for a great cause.

So far, over 300 people have signed up for Relay teams, which Sayre stated is a record number for the school’s Relay event.

Starting the week of April 11, every Wednesday there will be Relay lunch hours during all lunch periods where students will be able to go to room 146 to meet with their Relay team or meet with Sayre to train how to improve their team’s fundraising.

Another way that students can get involved in Relay is to volunteer for the survivor’s reception which will take place Thursday, May 19 at the Hattendorf Center for all cancer survivors in the Chicagoland area. Students may pick up forms for this event in room 146, and all guests at the event will receive a free dinner in honor of those survivors. Sayre hopes that these survivors who will attend the reception will accept the invite to walk the opening lap during the Luminaria event for Relay.

Students can also purchase baked goods from various Relay teams to help donate to this great cause. Students can also donate money by either an online donation or by mailing a check to the organization. Sayre will also accept checks to the organization that students can drop off in her room if they prefer to donate in person.

Volunteers are needed for both set-up and cleanup tasks. Students looking for other volunteer opportunities related to fighting breast cancer can look for and sign up for events at www.volunteersignup.org/9MBWA.

Another new organization that helps fight against breast cancer is the Magnolia Tree Foundation, which was created by the Rodheim-Cutler family in memory of Alexa Rodheim. The mission of this foundation is to educate and provide financial assistance to those affected by the BRCA mutation. Any questions regarding donations to the Magnolia Tree Foundation may be directed to [email protected].