Summer reading benefits students

Dino Frentzas, Staff Reporter

Summer reading is going to have quite a few changes this summer. The school will provide books for every student.

Teachers will sends students a survey to choose the book they want. They will also sponsor books for their classes. The goal is for teachers from all departments to integrate ideas into the class.

The selection of books consists of: The Impossible Knife of Memory, We Were Liars, Positive: A Memoir, Beat the Odds, The Testing, The Book of Unknown Americans and We Were Here. The theme of these books is facing challenges which was selected by students voting in their English classes.

Students also came in during their lunches to a quick meeting. The quick meetings consisted of students saying yes or no to the books in a selection given to teachers. The teachers picked out the books, but the students ultimately decided which books would be best for them.

Students will get their book in the beginning of May, and there will be an activity called “A Million Minutes of Reading.” This activity essentially is students will read for 8 minutes in the beginning of their first period class which will be after morning announcements. This will fall into effect the first day of May. Students will also be given a study guide to help them do well on the summer reading test in the fall. Some incoming freshmen will be taught their summer reading books in summer school. During the summer, teachers will be available to help students with any troubles they are facing with their book.

English Division Head Wendy Relich said there will be “other ways to weave the summer book into our curriculum.” This summer, students will have plenty of resources to be successful for summer reading. Relich said “We were looking each year to emphasize even more that reading is such an important skill for students and staff alike.”