Football shows grit

Zoya Muneeb, Staff Reporter

The school football team’s season has gotten off to a rough start, losing every game they have played so far. However, ven though they have not won a game, they remain optimistic.

Despite a major EG Nation effort to crowd the stands, underscored by the twitter hashtag #EGBig10, the team lost their first game of the season at Libertyville, 55-28.

The team went in strong for their second game at home vs. Fremd, but they lost 45-28 in a game that was much closer than the score would indicate. Both Libertyville and Fremd are highly ranked teams.

At Barrington, Elk Grove’s football team controlled the clock, but Barrington controlled the game. The team lost 42-18.

The team’s third home game, against Schaumburg, was hindered by a weather delay that forced the game to be played on a Saturday evening, Sept. 19. Despite entering halftime only seven points behind, the team only scored six more points after the first quarter, losing again 35-13.

Senior Peter Green, a running back for the team, has played on EG teams since freshman year.

“Ever since I was little, I have enjoyed playing football,” Green said.

Even with his success in the program, he is not planning to continue with football in college, instead choosing to pursue music.

Senior Luis Pena, on the other hand, a lineman and tight end, is optimistic about his future with the sport.

“If [I] get lucky enough, [I] will continue football in college,” Pena said.

Despite all the losses, coach John Sigmund said he is seeing improvement from his team. “The last few weeks we put ourselves in a hole, but the kids were fighting for four quarters,” Sigmund said. “I am extremely proud of my ball club and the fight. We just need to start fast and that will be the emphasis for the remainder of the season.”