GSA sponsors new Ally Week

Jade Lewis, Staff Reporter

GSA stands for Gay Straight Alliance and is an organization at Elk Grove High School that has meetings every Thursday at 8:10 a.m. in room 139. A staff member at Elk Grove High School, David Maya, is a sponsor of GSA and is willing to answer students’ questions about the organization.

Maya said, “GSA is a good place for students to talk about their needs and differences.” If people can’t make it to any of the meetings there is also going to be “Ally Week”. During that week, activities will run in the foyer from September 28 to October 2.

Everyone come down to the the conference room in the foyer during the lunch periods to play some bingo with Kahoot and take pictures with GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network). Students can get some treats and other cool things while they are in the foyer as well. GSA members will be posting flyers around the school as the event gets closer.

Maya wants students to take control of who they are and how they feel. He then wants them to feel comfortable around others then telling a staff member about how they feel. He wants them to feel free.

Sophomore Brianna Seaton says “GSA is very fun and I get to see my friends, and we got to do a lot of great and fun games.”

Seaton said that “people would love GSA because no one is judged. Everyone is treated the same. People can be who they want to be while they’re in GSA.” This is a great way to have fun and get to make new friends and talk to others.