No winner in Kane case

Armondo L Sanchez/Tribune News Service

SLAPSHOT!: Kane dominates the ice and the court room this season. Tension comes his way, with fans going crazy wondering “did Kane really do it?” “Why?” After weeks and weeks of questioning and investigation, the fight for the truth has ended, and Kane will be renewed to the ice.

Zoya Muneeb, Staff Reporter

The Buffalo News reported that the Kane investigation focused on an alleged rape, citing two law enforcement sources. The report says, a woman reported being assaulted over the weekend and had testing done at a hospital.

The incident involved Kane and a woman that began at a bar in New York. Further investigation is being continued, and a lot of assumptions have been made.

Considering the disadvantages that rape victims already face, the results of major rape cases, such as that of Kane, become important. When a scandal gains this level of attention, the realities and horrors of sexual assault are given the spotlight. When the accusations in such cases end up being false, everyone who was involved suffers. With this in mind, however, the Kane case is resolved: there is no happy ending. If Kane is guilty, that means an innocent girl was sexually assaulted, and a role model for many hockey fans has fallen from grace.

Junior Summer Josh said, “Kane does not have to rape in my opinion because he is attractive and a big hockey star. Girls thrive for his attention when he is around. She is probably just another girl looking for her five seconds of fame.”

Sophomore Sohit Vasta said, “I feel like the full story of really what happened wasn’t told. I don’t think there’s enough evidence to support what the girl stated. For all you know it could’ve been a misunderstanding or he was probably intoxicated and flirted and when she realized who he was she went to make a complaint. He’s huge on the Blackhawks I don’t see why he’d risk it doing something like that.”

Regardless of this unfortunate situation, there is an important conversation to be had. After weeks of stress the 26 year old winger said “I have repeatedly said that I did nothing wrong, I have respected the legal process and I am glad that this matter has now been closed and I will have nothing further to say going forward.”

A lot of the fans are saying it might be a setback for people who have actually been victims of rape that will not come forward because they think thier voice will not be heard.