Best Buddies show all equality, respect

Zoya Muneeb, Staff Reporter

What is unique about humans is their humanity and ability to interact socially. Nobody has the right to degrade another or hurt someone; however, equal does not mean that we are all the same.

Each of us is different in our own special way, but we also have the common qualities that make us human. So, each of us should be treated with respect and treat others in the same way.

So, why is it that kids who are born with disabilities are treated differently? Is it because fitting in means lowering someone down to make themselves look cool avoiding them when they try to talk to you because you don’t wanna be seen with people like that? People with disabilities have feelings. They’re humans too and they want to fit in.

Best Buddies, a national organization that’s chapter at Elk Grove High School was started by Marla Carson and Jim Pfeiffer, is a friendship club where students from Elk Grove are paired up with a student with a disability. The buddies learn to make friendships. Best Buddies has existed here for four years.

Carson said she started this because “as the school year went by I noticed the need for this, and that it was a really good idea.”

Joining this program is easy. Students are encouraged to listen to the announcements for details, but this program is open to anyone that is interested. There are two positions, associate and peer buddies. A peer buddy is a one-to-one match where there are specific requirements between a student with a disability and a student without. An associate member is someone who is not matched but who is an integral part of the club. They help plan and participate in larger events.

Peer buddies meet once a month, before school or after.

There are multiple activities throughout the week, and anyone is more than welcome to come to those activities.

The purpose of Best Buddies is to establish friendships, bring global awareness, and to make sure no one feels left out and everyone is being treated equally. Bella Lindquist serves as Vice President, and Breanna Keenley server as president of the Best Buddies program.