Column: My weight loss journey wasn’t as easy as it seemed to be

Jose Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

Losing 115 pounds wasn’t always an accomplishment.

I went into my freshman year not feeling great about who I was. People stared at me and it made me uncomfortable being in my own skin. 

I still have the thoughts that haunted me at night about my weight. They were eating me alive while playing over and over again, and it didn’t stop bothering me until only recently. 

Despite my struggles, my weight loss journey was one of my biggest and most important achievements yet. It changed me in so many ways I would have never imagined. I managed to overcome criticism I received even from my closest friends. You always have to challenge yourself to come across those tough barriers in order to become better. 

Starting out on a weight loss journey was difficult. Starting a diet was even harder. I failed my diet six times. It took me long to get a real understanding of what my regiment was supposed to be.

Doctor visits were my worst fear. Listening to my doctors say my weight was high and that I had to stay in a certain range of weight didn’t really hit me until one visit in particular. 

That morning I had been called up for a checkup. The first thing I heard leaving my doctor’s mouth was, “Jose, your weight really matters to me a lot, and you’re at risk of being a pre-diabetic I’m afraid.” I found myself freaking out so much my mom had to prevent me from going into a rage. 

It was that day that changed it all for me. My weight loss had to begin. I had hit a wall not only mentally, but physically. I had zero motivation, but later that night I went outside to find my brother waiting for me. He told me it would help if I started to run a little bit every day.

I was terrible on that run, as it was my first in more than a year. But after that day, it became like a personal challenge for me. I would run in the snow, rain and windy weather, and thanks to my brother, I had the first major step in getting out of my comfort zone.

Another person who made me realize the importance of losing weight was my close friend Brian. We’ve been good friends for a while, and he told me his perspective on my weight loss. He was key in motivating me during this grueling and long experience.

Making a diet plan was also one of my biggest accomplishments, too. I have helped many of my friends start a diet plan after starting my own. 

One year later, I’m down more than 100 pounds. I’m now maintaining a lifestyle that’s a fit for me, and I’m making small, incremental changes. I want to be a voice to those who are struggling to get started on a diet and exercising, and I want them to know they’re never alone. 

Processes take time, and it took more than a year to get where I am. I’m limiting the carbs in my diet. I’m still working on getting toned down. The aftermath of losing all this weight wasn’t what I expected, but it was for the best. I’m proud of how far I’ve come, and I am thankful for all those who have helped me.