Speech prepares for fresh start this year

Stephanie Tingas, Staff Reporter

Chuck Cavazos, English teacher and speech team coach of 35 years, welcomes new members to join speech at Elk Grove. No background experience is needed, only a small time commitment of 2 or 3 days a week after school and tournaments on Saturdays. The official season started November 5 at Downers Grove North High School. There are 14 different events to participate in, whether it’s comedy, poetic, speech, or acting; there’s something for everyone.

Cavazos looks forward to meeting and coaching new students every year.

“It was magical seeing the kids improve, become confident, and develop a talent or skill they had or

didn’t know they had,” Cavazos said. A now 4 year member of speech, Megan Manoj, won state last year. Manoj described state as “pretty unreal. Everything, they called the next place I was preparing myself to hear my name being called. When I heard “state champion,” I just let it all sink in. My heart was beating really fast; it was the

least of my expectations.” Emily Franke, another four year

speech team member, claims that speech not only improved her speaking and boosted her confidence, but also taught her that failure is inevitable but how you overcome it is what makes you a better person. Both girls agreed that their favorite part about speech is meeting amazing people, having tons of fun, and making memories; but the suit and heels combo is icing on the cake.