Castro wins teacher of year, improves school atmosphere

Stephanie Tingas, Staff Reporter

Ricardo “Ricky” Castro, English as a second language teacher at Elk Grove High School, was given the Teacher of the Year Award in Normal, IL at their annual ceremony. He considers this a very humbling experience because of all the great teachers around him who have helped him.

“Education is a team effort and not a one person movement,” Castro said. He credits his strong faith that has kept him optimistic and motivated to make a difference in the lives around him. Also he credits his past teachers and mentors while growing up that set examples for him and greatly influenced him thus far.

He has taken on several roles for Elk Grove High School within his three years of working for District 214, such as starting a program called Estudiantes Unidos, which involves high school students mentoring younger kids. Castro not only cares about academic success, but also about student leadership skills and service to others.

Principal Paul Kelly believes that Castro is the best choice for Illinois Teacher of the Year because he dedicates his life to teaching and guiding the young to give back.

“He won because he has done amazing things not only with our students, but also with our families and our future students in junior high and elementary school. He is one of the most caring and hard-working teachers I’ve ever worked with, and he is always trying to make the largest, most positive impact possible on society as a whole,’’ Kelly said.

Castro plans on expanding his influence and promoting social change from within communities in future. He will also give workshops and cooperate with many teachers throughout the state over the next year, and represent Illinois at NASA Space Camp and the National Teacher of the Year program.