‘Million Minutes of Reading’ program starts

Dino Frentzad, Staff Reporter

Starting this May, students have the opportunity to begin reading their summer reading books. This is known as Million Minutes of Reading, which lasts for ten minutes right after morning announcements.

Students have the chance to finish their summer reading book before school ends as long as they are being productive with their ten minutes.

Shortening classes by one minute to create the time for students to read is important. The time provided for these students to read would have a positive influence on students. English Division Head Wendy Relich said “Students will be impacted in several positive ways: they will get a chance to start their summer reading if they wish, they will get to read for pleasure, and they will have time each day to enhance their reading skills.”

The significance of Million Minutes of Reading is to bring all readers at Elk Grove High School together. Relich said, “One of the most important skills students need to be successful in school, on the job, and in life is the ability to read well.”

Reading must be understood as something for pleasure by students. Relich said, “We want students to enjoy reading, not to simply see it as a task they must do for school.” Students are given the option to pick one out of the seven book choices for their summer reading book, so they do have the opportunity to choose the book of their own interest.