Redefining Ready initiative becomes national movement

Nic Baggetto, Editor in Chief

With juniors on course to be the first Elk Grove class ever to take the SAT in the spring, now is a more pressing time than ever for students readying their college applications. As some may already know, the Redefining Ready initiative, which was put in place at the beginning of the school year, looks to ease the minds of these students by assuring that their high school education will stand for more than just a test score. Now, Redefining Ready is spreading out of just District 214 and into other states around the country.

For those who are unaware, the primary goal of Redefining Ready is develop students into individuals capable of earning sustainable living wages post high school in fields that are interesting to them.

When explaining the attractiveness of the Redefining Ready system, associate principal for instruction Kyle

Burritt said, “No one really liked the previous measures. When the conversation isn’t just about test scores, we can dictate our own success.”

According to district superintendent Dr. David Schuler, each state submits an educational accountability plan to the federal government which is then looked over and approved or disapproved under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). After traveling to districts in other states, as well as allowing several site visits within D214, Schuler confirmed that Redefining Ready is now a national movement as 6 to 12 states will be submitting it as their plan in February.

“I really believe that achievement levels around the country are going to go up,” Schuler said.

Coming from a background in career and technical education, Burritt takes a special pride in the nationwide success of Redefining Ready because it blends together different ways for students to be successful.

With feedback from the education community being positive, Burritt and Schuler are interested in hearing from students here in the district and are interested in looking at the actual data several years down the line once the current generation of high schoolers are attending post secondary schools or in the workforce.

Students, like junior Jonathan Faughn, who are concerned with being among the first to take the upcoming SAT test have embraced the idea of an all- inclusive curriculum that focuses on more than just the core subjects. Classes, such as leadership through service, offer to students other skills that may be more inline with their career trajectory.

With Redefining Ready now a national movement, senior Michael Hoblit noted, “Sometimes students won’t do well on a test, but still have the opportunity to do well in college and it’s good that other states are taking our example.”