Battle of Bards

Club looks forward to celebrating Shakespeare’s 400th anniversary

Tiffany Kajiwara, Online Editor

Although Shakespeare Club has wrapped up their season for this year, they are looking ahead to events coming in the fall.

Because this year is the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth, there will be many Shakespeare celebrations throughout the city. Shakespeare Club intends to see a total of three productions in the fall and compete in the Battle of the Bards.

The first production they intend to see is the classic “Romeo and Juliet”, which revolves around two star-crossed lovers as they try to overcome their family differences and allow their love to blossom. Shakespeare Club will be going to see it with the ELL program.

The second production is “Love’s Labour’s Lost”. It is one of Shakespeare’s earlier comedies. It is about four men as they try to keep their oath to each other declaring they will avoid contact with women, despite the fact that they all fall in love.

The third production will be “Shakespeare in Love”, which is a retelling and reimagining of

Shakespeare’s early years. Sophomore Jennifer Bhasker,

member of Shakespeare Club, expressed her excitement. “It’s an experience to see a play. You get into it. Once the play starts, you can’t stop staring.”

Shakespeare Club is most excited to participate in Battle of the Bards. Battle of the Bards is a large competition open to northern Illinois high schools put on by Chicago Youth Shakespeare.

A total of eight students will be selected to act out two pieces: one scene from a Shakespeare play and one more open ended piece which may be chosen from Shakespeare’s sonnets or plays.

The competition is open to more than just the students participating in the club. They hope to collaborate with some experienced students actors.

Rita Sayre, Shakespeare Club sponsor, said, “We’re interested in opening up this to some of the kids who haven’t been involved in speech and drama and get them involved and give them a taste of it and at the same time, exploring some different kinds of things that don’t fit neatly

into speech or drama pieces.”