Girls badminton prepares for their season

Megan Casey, Editor-in-Chief

The girls badminton team is currently working on improving their skills in order to bring the heat at their tournaments for this season.

Coach Matt Wrobel is excited to be practicing with the seniors on the team and seeing how far they have come not only in their badminton skills but also how they’ve grown as people over the years.

“I’m really looking forward to working with the seniors,” Wrobel said. “It is their last season, and high school sports really change a person from start to finish. I’m looking forward to having a good season and working really hard with those guys, but also at the same time having a lot of fun and creating memories that they’ll remember for the rest of their lives.”

Wrobel also wants to focus on training the newer players in order to help them step up and become leaders for next year.

“We’re going to rely heavily on our seniors because we have quite a few of them to help us get the younger students excited about badminton,” Wrobel said.

Last year, though the team did not perform so well according to the coach, the girls still gave it their all, and Wrobel was proud of their accomplishments. This season Wrobel hopes that the team will come together to help each other improve their skills and work toward improving their records from last year.

“We have some promising young talent, which is always exciting to see. Younger kids come out and are passionate, willing to work hard and have some natural ability for the sport,” Wrobel said.

The team’s first game is an invite today at Buffalo Grove High School, and the team’s first home game will take place on March 29 against Fremd.