Out with the old: District implements new grading system ‘Infinite Campus’

Gian Bulleri and Jack Kaup

Elk Grove students will be bidding farewell to the family of three that graces the login screen of HomeLogic. A new grading system called Infinite Campus will be implemented throughout District 214. It goes live on Jan. 20 and will be accompanied by a mobile app.

District Director of Technology Services Keith Bockwaldt is part of a large committee consisting of registrars, teachers and others that made the decision to integrate Infinite Campus into the district.

“It came down to two options: PowerSchool by Pierson and Infinite Campus,” he said. “They both were good options, and both met our criteria we set out to find.”

Infinite Campus has several benefits that HomeLogic does not. The system seems to be easy to use for teachers and can also be used to have students turn in assignments, like the learning management system Schoology. HomeLogic, regarding the latter, allowed teachers to only post assignments. Students were unable to turn in assignments.

“I definitely can say from the training that it’s more user-friendly and integrates all of our systems,” EGHS Innovative Technology Facilitator Linda Ashida said.

District 214 teachers will also have the ability to communicate with students through a message center, which makes it easier for them to update students on their progress. Making seating charts and taking attendence will also be easier with better graphics.

“It will randomized seating charts for you,” math teacher Brianne Smith said. “It looks